060608


Galleria d'Arte Moderna di Roma Capitale

Typology: Modern art museum, Town Museum

Addresses

Address: Via Francesco Crispi, 24
Zone: Rione Campo Marzio (P.Spagna-P.Popolo-Pincio) (Roma centro)
Disabled access: Via Zucchelli, 7
Zone: Rione Colonna (Pantheon-Montecitorio-Barberini) (Roma centro)
E’ necessario richiedere l’apertura dell’accesso disabili, citofonando in via Crispi, 24 oppure telefonando ai numeri della Galleria: 06 4742848; 06 4742909

Contacts

Opening times

From Tuesday to Sunday 10.00-18.30
24 and 31 December 10.00-14.00
1 January 2024 timetable to be defined
Last admission half an hour before closing time
Closed
Monday, 1 May, 25 December

For updates and guidelines please visit the > official website

Entrance for the disabled
For further information please consult the page > Disabled people Access

ALWAYS CHECK the NOTICE PAGE before planning your visit in the museum

 

Information

> Buy online purchase tickets for museums and exhibitions online
>
Tickets admission tickets, prices and information for visiting the permanent collection and temporary exhibitions. Free entry the first Sunday of the month
> Free and reduced tickets free and reduced tickets in the Civic Museums
> MIC card is a 5 euro card that includes free admission in the Civic Museums for 12 months
> Agreements facilities and events concession agreements 
> Terms and conditions of access information and services for the public
> Free cloakroom for bags, schoolbags, buggies and umbrellas
> Bookshop

Agreement with

Roma Pass
What the agreement provides:

Included in the Roma Pass network.

Today's events

Scheduled events

Description

The story of the Municipal Gallery of Modern and Contemporary Art starts in 1883 when the Municipality purchased 40 watercolors by Ettore Roesler Franz and a few historical and generic works at the Universal Exhibition.
In the following decades, since the city had purchased for various purposes otherworks, the idea of building a Municipal Gallery of Modern and Contemporary Art started to shape up. In 1925 when the collection counted about 200 works consisting of paintings, sculptures, and graphics, it was exhibited to the public in Palazzo Caffarelli on the Capitol Hill and took the name of Galleriad'Arte Moderna (Gallery of Modern Art).
The collection kept on increasing and in 1931 a new arrangement was set up, including several donations and especially the 70 works purchased by the Municipality at the First Roman Quadriennial. In 1938 the Gallery was temporarily closed although the Municipality continued its acquisitions. In 1963 it was reopened in the Palace of Exhibitions remaining open to the public until 1972, when it was closed once again, due to the need to restore the Palace, and the works were placed in the depots of Palazzo Braschi and in some rooms belonging to the Municipality. About one third of the works were used to decorate offices. Waiting for a final accomodation, part of the collections was transferred to the ancient convent of the Barefooted Carmelites of St. Joseph at Capo le Case, where they are once again open to the public since 1995.
The collection includes
works that represent the most significant moments of the Italian art from the late nineteenth century to the Second World War. The works are by V. Gemito, G.A. Sartorio, the XXV della Campagna Romana, G. Balla, Tato, F. Depero, N. Costa, G. Morandi, G. De Pisis, F. Trombadori, Scipione, F.Casorati, G. Capogrossi, G. De Chirico, C. Carrà, G. Severini, M. Mafai, R.Guttuso, Afro, and A. Savinio.
The revision of the inventory of the entire collection performed between 1991 and 1994 has estimated more than 4,000 pieces, between the works exhibited and the ones in store. Meanwhile in 1999 the second new site of the Gallery was inaugurated in the former Peroni building.

Museum system

Culture and leisure › Cultural heritage › Museums

See also

Agreement with

Hospitality › Services › Tourist services and fairs
Last checked: 2022-02-14 15:12
©2007 - Roma Classic version